Saturday, August 7, 2010

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate [FIRST POST!]

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
 



















    This record I received from my uncle Phil. He was and is a very avid music appreciator and is the source of many of the records I will post from the 60's to the early 90's. Today he came to visit, and he is slowly unloading his ridiculously large record collection unto me, giving me more than I could possibly listen to. This is probably the main reason I've chosen to write this blog, to make good of his gifts and listen to everything he's given me.
    This is a Leonard Cohen classic from 1971. Cohen is a legend hailing from Canada, probably most famous for his song "Hallelujah" which has been covered infinitely. He is of the singer-songwriter/folk genre, one of my favorite kinds of music. This is a solid album that I highly recommend. It's a very relaxing, however emotionally engaging listen. His lyrics are very poetic, resembling textbook poetry when read but not heard.
     Favorites on this album are the first track, "Avalanche" and an interesting song, "Joan of Arc", told through the point of view of the flames consuming her.
    Thanks for reading, and I hope I can expand your musical horizons in the days to come.

    Google Search  
    Amazon.com Search

No comments:

Post a Comment