Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy



      I heard about this album and I first thought that this was going to be a morbid album full of macabre sentiments, particularly the title track, "Excitable Boy", a story about an "excitable boy" whom takes a girl out on a date, rapes and kills her and then after he's released from the looney bin digs up her bones and keeps them. Then as I listened I realized once again that you cannot judge a record by its cover and I once again realized I've heard a number of songs on the album already. The song "Werewolves of London" was one of those "so that's who sings that song!" moments.
     My second thought about this album was "Wow, for such a feminine looking guy he sure has a masculine voice". The songs are enjoyable, good traditional rock and roll and overall a good album, his most commercially successful as well, if I'm not mistaken. I have a prejudice, however against the artist himself. Talented as he may be, there is something about his face that irks me. Have you ever met a person who's face just annoyed you? That's sort of how Zevon makes me feel. He puts his face on all of his album covers, or most of them, and if I choose to look at the sleeve itself, it almost ruins the listening experience. But, like records, you cannot judge a person by their exterior, and he nonetheless makes music I enjoy listening to.

Google Search
Amazon Search
  

No comments:

Post a Comment